Carbon Monoxide

Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas

which interferes with the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

CO is non-irritating and can overcome persons without

warning. Many people die from CO poisoning, usually while

using gasoline powered tools and generators in buildings

or semi-enclosed spaces without adequate ventilation.

Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

• Severe carbon monoxide poisoning causes neurological

damage, illness, coma and death.

Symptoms of CO exposure

• Headaches, dizziness and drowsiness.

• Nausea, vomiting, tightness across the chest.

Some Sources of Exposure

• Portable generators/generators in buildings.

• Concrete cutting saws, compressors.

• Power trowels, floor buffers, space heaters.

• Welding, gasoline powered pumps.

Preventing CO Exposure

• Never use a generator indoors or in enclosed or partially

enclosed spaces such as garages, crawl spaces,

and basements. Opening windows and doors in an

enclosed space may prevent CO buildup.

• Make sure the generator has 3-4 feet of clear space on

all sides and above it to ensure adequate ventilation.

• Do not use a generator outdoors if placed near doors,

windows or vents which could allow CO to enter and

build up in occupied spaces.

• When using space heaters and stoves ensure that they

are in good working order to reduce CO buildup, and

never use in enclosed spaces or indoors.

• Consider using tools powered by electricity or compressed

air, if available.

• If you experience symptoms of CO poisoning get to

fresh air right away and seek immediate medical

attention.